Location: San Diego, CA
The Assistant Director for the Department of Child Support Services reports to the Director and will be responsible for providing leadership to the Deputy Directors – Administration, Operations, and Legal. The Department of Child Support Services employs 466 staff and has an operating budget of $52.8 million.
Anticipated Appointment Salary— $125,000 to $140,000 DOQ
- The incumbent assists in the management, planning and coordination of the operations in the Department of Child Support Services in compliance with Federal, State, and County laws and regulations, and joint power/cooperative agreements.
- The incumbent will be responsible for ensuring the mission and vision is part of all activities in the department, providing oversight and direction in the operational and administrative functions and collaborating with local, state and community based organizations.
- The ideal candidate will be a dynamic, collaborative and innovative leader with a strong background in leadership,
- The candidate will possess exceptional knowledge of child support policies, procedures and practices, strong analytical skills, a global perspective, be an expert in learning new concepts quickly, working under pressure and possess exceptional communication skills.
- The ideal candidate will also possess a professional history that demonstrates the following leadership competencies and attributes:
- A customer service-oriented management philosophy that builds and supports mutually beneficial relationships with other County departments, outside organizations and community stakeholders
- Strategic thinking and anticipation of future consequences and trends while applying knowledge appropriately
- Stimulates and actively initiates change in the organization
- Ability to mentor, develop, and advocate for staff
- Carefully considers implications and impact of decisions across the organization and in the region
- Effectively manages conflictLooks beyond department boundaries when making decisions
- Possesses strong technical and interpersonal skills
- Two years of experience performing duties in a public agency in an administrative or management position, preferably in a child support agency
- Strong leadership, human resources, organizational development, work ethic and fiscal experience
Qualifying candidates will possess a bachelor’s degree from an accredited U.S. college or university, or a foreign studies equivalency five (5) years of experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the classification. Experience must include four (4) years of management level experience and at least one (1) year of supervision. A master’s degree or higher degree may substitute for a total of one year of the required experience but cannot be applied to the required one year of supervision.
How to Apply
Applications may be accessed and submitted on-line. To apply, go to www.sdcounty.ca.gov, select the link for jobs.
In addition to completing your application, please submit an updated résumé indicating academic degrees held and dates conferred, employment history and positions held, dates of service, areas of experience, levels of responsibility, reporting structure, key duties performed, number of direct reports or staff, and salary information.
Applications and résumés will be screened for minimum qualifications. An evaluation board will convene to review submittals and identify top competitors to be considered for further evaluation.
Applications will be accepted until an adequate number of qualified candidates have been received. Interested candidates are encouraged to submit an application as soon as possible. The first review date for resumes will be April 25, 2016.