Location: Loma Linda, California
The Department of Child Support Services (DCSS) operates the County’s local Child Support Enforcement Program. DCSS locates absent parents, establishes paternity, establishes orders for monetary support and medical support pursuant to state guidelines, and enforces and modifies those obligations when needed. The department has 436 full-time employees and an operating budget of $39 million. The department is responsible for a caseload of approximately 118,000 cases with annual collections exceeding $160 million.
The mission of DCSS is to determine paternity, establish and enforce child support orders and secure patments to assist families in meeting the financial and medical needs of their children. The department provides timely and effective service in a professional manner.
The Department of Child Support Services is recruiting for a Deputy Director, Child Support to plan, organize, and direct a major division of the Department of Child Support Services. Deputy Directors formulate and implement policies, procedures and methods; analyze management reports and operational data; facilitate goal accomplishment; and ensure compliance with federal and state laws. This position is located in Loma Linda.
The essential functions of this classification include:
- Direct, through subordinate managers, departmental functions including: establishment and enforcement of child support obligations; accounting;automated systems; staff development and quality assurance.
- Recommend new and revised program and department goals, policies, procedures, and methods; provide consultation and interpretation of policies and procedures to subordinate managers and supervisors.
- Thirty (30) semester (45 quarter) units of completed college coursework in Public/Business Administration, Administration of Justice, Behavioral/Social Service, English, Math or Humanities, half of which must be upper division
- Two (2) years of management experience overseeing staff in a state or county Child Support Services agency.
- Three (3) years of experience in a state or county agency analyzing Child Support program/operational practices and making policy and procedural recommendations to ensure compliance with federal or state program requirements. Experience must include at least one (1) year of supervisory or management experience over technical or administrative staff in a government agency
- Three (3) years of professional-level administrative/management experience in a government agency with primary responsibility for the development of the agency agency’s or department’s budget and management of its fiscal operations. Experience must include developing budget justification, performing financial analysis of programs and business operations, and at least one (1) year of supervisory or management experience over staff supporting these functions
The ideal candidate is a customer‐focused, visionary leader who is dedicated to meeting the needs of children as a Deputy Director in Child Support Services, has excellent organizational and management skills, a highly effective leadership style, experience in policy development/compliance, and fiscal, facilities, and personnel management experience. A Bachelor’s degree or higher in one of the qualifying fields is also highly desirable.
How to Apply
There will be a competitive evaluation of qualifications based on a review of the Application and Supplemental Questionnaire; therefore, it is important that application materials and responses are complete and clear. Do not refer to a resume. Only the most highly qualified will continue in the selection process.
Applications must be obtained and filed online at http://www.sbcounty.gov/hr
For more information, please review the complete job description and brochure.