Location: Milwaukee, WI
Milwaukee County seeks a performance-driven individual to serve as Director of Child Support Services. The Director works under the general direction of the County Executive, and is responsible for managing day to day operations of Wisconsin’s largest child support agency, with 130 employees, 125,000 cases and a $20 million budget. The Director ensures process improvement to achieve child support performance goals, for long-term strategic planning and for maintaining positive relationships with elected county leaders, the courts, state agencies, other state child support leaders, the legislature and the media.
- Strategy Development. Establish long and short term strategic direction for the Department, including strategic-level, mission-driven goals that advance the mission of Child Support Services and place it at a national best-in-class level.
- Strategy Execution. Provide steady progress toward identified strategic-level, mission-driven goals and targets. Report to the County Executive on performance and progress toward goals on a regular basis.
- Operations and Programmatic Oversight. Provide day-to-day operations and programmatic oversight that results in the provision of high-quality services to the community. Provide guidance to division heads with regard to goals, key performance indicators with best practice benchmarks. Report to County Executive on operational and programmatic key performance indicators.
- Financial management. Work toward financial sustainability of the Department, in light of uncertain state and federal revenue sources through best practice and innovative solutions.
- Serve as a member of the County Executive’s strategic leadership team and play a front-line role, with other department leaders, in moving the County to a model government – as defined by the Baldrige criteria.
- Work closely with the County Board, as a key partner in creating a high-performing organization.
The qualified candidate will have a passion for public service, combined with an in-depth knowledge of system planning and compliance. Candidates will have a proven track record of developing new program strategies, vision, and delivering results. The ideal candidate will be a strong and confident leader with excellent project management skills and an unquestionable sense of integrity and honesty. Candidates will be able to organize and express ideas through excellent oral and written communications to a wide variety of audiences, including strategic partners, community groups, and other boards and committees.
- Bachelor’s degree in Legal, Public Administration or a closely related field. An advanced degree or license to practice law is preferred.
- Five years of experience in a high-level system management role, including comfort with compliance with state and federal agency requirements.
- Ability to demonstrate past success in creating and/or managing a performance-driven complex organization is a must.
- This position requires County Board confirmation.
Milwaukee County provides a competitive benefits package, including group life, health and dental insurance; major medical coverage of employees and dependents; pre-tax medical flexible spending program; deferred compensation and contributory pension plan; pre-tax childcare and dependent care program.
Interested applicants are asked to submit a cover letter and resume on or before January 30, 2018.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.