Location: Novato/San Rafael, California
The Director of Child Support Services is an at-will, department head class. The position is appointed by and serves at the pleasure of the Board of Supervisors. Working closely with the California Department of Child Support Services, the Director is responsible for the overall program and administrative operations of the County’s Department of Child Support Services, consistent with state and federal regulations. The Director of Child Support Services is responsible for recommending and implementing policy, developing goals and objectives, selecting and supervising staff, and administering the Department budget. In addition, the Director is expected to provide a leadership role within the Child Support Services Department, County organization, and the community.
- Oversees the development and ongoing operations of the Department’s automation programs and systems; coordinates with the State Department of Child Support Services and other government agencies for the development, implementation, and maintenance of a statewide automated case management and tracking system.
- Oversees the development, revision, and implementation of operational policies and procedures; analyzes and interprets existing and proposed legislation and State Department of Child Support Services policies, procedures, and other directives to determine their impact on Departmental operations; identifies areas for organizational improvement; formulates long-range strategic plans; initiates changes to improve organizational efficiency and ensure program conformance to federal and state child support laws, regulations, and court decisions.
- Works in concert with the Board of Supervisors and fellow members of the Marin County executive management team to develop an integrated and humane system of programs to address issues of Child Support Services.
- Addresses legislative, judicial, and regulatory bodies to explain, defend, and advocate the County’s position and actions.
In addition, the Director of Child Support Services will lead the Department in achieving the following goals and related initiatives:
- Goal I – Ensure the best case, account, and payment processing possible through effective program management.
- Goal II – Enhance competency depth within the Department to increase organizational effectiveness.
- Goal III – Improve cross-functional communication and cooperation.
- Goal IV – Maintain a successful case referral interface with the courts.
A typical combination of education and experience would be a bachelor’s degree in business or public administration and five (5) years of progressively responsible management experience in a child support enforcement program including long-range planning, budget preparation, and accounts receivable management. Experience in a complex service organization that also provided knowledge of public sector child support enforcement programs may also be considered. Candidates should have knowledge and management level experience in the broad areas of:
- Public sector child support enforcement programs and systems;
- Performance based budgeting, program management, project management, long-range planning, and customer service;
- Accounts receivable management, including automated accounts receivable systems, collections, account aging, and related subjects; and
- Modern technology, systems, and software designed to assist in the computerized management of information.
- California experience is a definite plus although all highly qualified candidates on a national level will be given full consideration.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should apply by March 20, 2015 by sending a comprehensive resume, compelling cover letter, and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org. Detailed brochure available at www.ralphandersen.com. Confidential inquiries encouraged to Heather Renschler, (916) 630-4900.