Location: Sacramento, California
The Health, Education & Welfare Section, Child Support Enforcement Unit (Child Support), represents the public interest and local child support agencies and defends appeals from child support orders. Each deputy researches laws governing intra and interstate, as well as international child support enforcement, including issues of paternity and genetic testing. Child Support deputies appear before state appellate courts including the California Supreme Court, and bankruptcy courts nationwide. Deputies also serve on the California Department of Child Support Services Appellate Advisory Committee providing advice and consultation to the state and the local child support agencies on the merits of each appeal and the respective impact to the state’s child support program. As the deputies’ expertise expands, they may also be asked to consult with local, state, national and international child support professionals and provide training on child support-related issues.
- Superior research and writing skills; a command of all aspects of civil litigation including trials; experience in handling child support enforcement actions;
- Effective oral communication and presentation skills; knowledge of the Title IV-D program; and
- Experience with state appellate cases and how they are processed is preferred but not required.
- Extensive writing experience and ability is required.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, the following materials must be submitted by February 26. Failure to submit the following with your application package may result in elimination from the hiring process:
- State Application (STD 678) – Clearly indicate the basis of your eligibility in the Explanation section located at the bottom of page one.
- Cover Letter
- Writing Sample