Organization: Riverside County Department of Child Support Services
Location: Riverside, CA
Description: The Department of Child Support Services is seeking a Supervising Deputy Child Support Attorney in their Legal Division located in Riverside. The incumbent in this position will coordinate and implement program improvements within the Legal Division; assign cases, coverage, projects, and team responsibilities to subordinate attorneys. The Supervising Deputy Child Support Attorney will also be tasked with overseeing complex litigation of child support establishment and enforcement actions; and performs other related duties as required. Additionally, the incumbent will serve as the liaison for the child support court staff in Riverside, Hemet, and Indio.
• Supervise the daily operations of the legal section of the County of Riverside DCSS.
• Determine sufficiency of evidence for the filing of civil child support complaints or actions; decide on actions or charges to be filed; assign cases to subordinate attorneys.
• Advise deputies on points of law, case strategy and legal procedure in difficult or sensitive cases.
• Supervise daily court operations, and through the Law Office Supervisor, the operations of the legal processing teams.
• Advise Child Support Specialists and Interviewers on questions of law and procedure in particular cases.
• Approve the modification or dismissal of actions, complaints or charges when warranted.
• Advise law enforcement agencies and other non-legal personnel as appropriate on legal procedures; track, along with the Program Improvement Team, sensitive, high profile cases.
• Coordinate the interests and operations of the section with law enforcement agencies, courts, the Probation Department, the Law Office of the Public Defender, Department of Public Social Services, and other agencies as necessary.
• Assist in the development of departmental policies and procedures, staff training and implement approved policies within the section or division.
• Conduct staff meetings to discuss operations within the section; represent the County of Riverside DCSS before civic, educational and professional organizations at department community outreach functions and advocacy group meetings.
• Draft and submit case of the month reports and summaries of legal team activities to the Director of Child Support Services for inclusion in the department monthly and annual reports.
• Prepare Deputy Child Support Attorney and legal team evaluations; represent the County of Riverside DCSS on child support issues of interest to the community.
• Release information concerning cases to the news media; may prepare preliminary budget requests.
Experience: One year as a Deputy Child Support Attorney IV with the County of Riverside DCSS, or the equivalent classification in another governmental agency.
Knowledge of: Legal principles and ethics; California statutory and case law; federal law and regulations governing Title IV-D support enforcement; rules of evidence and the conduct of court proceedings; sentencing laws and practices; principles of effective supervision; duties, powers, limitations, and authority of the County of Riverside DCSS.
Ability to: Supervise a large staff engaged in the litigation of civil and/or child support cases; decide on charges to file by evaluating the evidence and merit of cases to determine the probability of conviction and sentencing; present legal arguments and statements of fact clearly and logically in written and oral form; maintain effective working relationships with related government agencies and the public.
Application Information: Supervising Deputy Child Support Attorney